reflecting on the auteur theory:
The power-point presentations allowed us to discuss the auteur theory and how different directors use it. This was beneficial because it allowed us all as a group to develop a deeper understanding of the auteur theory.

Most of the groups were paired up with someone who based their presentation on a different director, but myself and Katie both based our presentation on Taratino and we thought that both being paired up and doing the same director was beneficial because we got a deeper understanding of how the auteur theory was used by Taratino and because we both presented our presentations to each other and we focused on different aspects. For example: Katie used videos to show where aspects of Taratino and where his theme vengeance was used throughout three films. on the other hand, I picked three films which were Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs and stated in detail how the auteur theory is used and links to each film. I think that both doing the same director was a success because it allowed us to point of the strengths and weaknesses in each presentation and therefore this allowed us to understand and put the auteur theory to use in further work we do.


Next time I need to improve my power-point by adding in clips from the film and not using the trailer because if I pick a sequence from the film then I can talk about how the clip justifies the auteur theory because this will allow me to talk about the clip and therefore this shows how the director uses the auteur theory throughout all his films and I can make the similarities throughout the films. Also, to better my presentation I need to talk about the director more because I focused mainly on the auteur theory and therefore didn't state much about the director, and I think if I talked about the director it would allow me to get a deeper understanding to why the director bases his films on vengeance because something from his past could of influenced him to turn to vengeance. Another improvement I was given was to talk about the visuals common in Taratino's films and therefore doing this would allow me to talk about film terminology that Taratino uses such as the truck shot. which is common in all of his films and this is when the camera is placed in the trunk of a car and when it is opened we see the point of view from the cars boot.

Visuals in the Taratino film are important because this allows the audience to notice and recognise the similarities in the film and this allows us to link to the auteur theory because it allows the audience to notice that Taratino is the director of other films. Within my presentation I could of puts links that showed where Taratino used his features in the film because therefore this would link to the auteur theory and would support the fact that other directors are not classed as an auteur because there isn't a similarity between several of their films. for example Taratino uses the trunk shot throughout most of his films and this shot can show you that Taratino is the director of the film even without looking at who the director is because its so easy to identify and it allows the audience to notice that Taratino isn't just a director he is also an auteur.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City of God